In this tutorial we will build a bag of words pipeline from scratch. Attendees will get an overview of this popular method including several practical and implementation details. We will try to code some simple steps of the pipeline in order to gain insight on the method. Code, data and pre-computed features are available on the website. A full working system will also be provided with all the solutions to the exercises proposed during the tutorial. The provided data is a subset (4 and 15 categories) of Caltech-101 dataset; the pipeline is compatible with the full Caltech-101 and Caltech-256 directory structure with no further modification.
Students interested in theses on multimedia retrieval, video analysis, event detection and image classification should send me an email to discuss available projects. You may have a look at the following master and bachelor theses final projects to get an idea of the topics.
Take a look at my posts on our research blog for summaries of the theses I’ve co-advised.
- Silvia Palozzi (on-going)
- Andrea Zerbini (on-going)
- Federico Becattini, October 2014
- Leonardo Galteri, October 2014
- Andrea Ciolini, October 2014, “Efficient Hough Forest Object Detection For Low-Power Devices”, ICME-WS 2015
- Enrico Bondi, “Crowd counting and analysis system via depth sensor”, Apr. 2014, AVSS2014
- Claudio Baecchi&Francesco Turchini , “Fisher Feature Fusion Forests for visual object recognition”, Jun. 2013, ICPR 2014
- Leonardo Galteri, “Real-time low level feature extraction on a surveillance camera”, Dec. 2011.
- Lorenzo Usai, “Hand pose recognition with Kinect™“, Mar. 2012, ICPR 2012
- Vincenzo Varano,”Action Recognition from 3D cameras”, Apr. 2013, CVPR-WS 2013
Digital Circuits – Polo Universitario Aretino del Politecnico di Milano
- Interactive digital circuits simulation software: logisim-evolution
- Open source VHDL compiler and simulator: ghdl
- Slides on VHDL
- Example circuits using VHDL components:
Lectures for Multimedia Databases (DBMM)
- Intro to obj. categorization 8/11/2012 [ pdf ]
- SVM classification 8/11/2012[ zip(pdf+libsvm) ]
- Event detection 25/11/2011 [ pdf ]
- Object Categorization 18/11/2009 [ppt] [ pdf ]
- Space-time features 21,25/11/2011 [ pdf ]
- PLSA 21/11/2011 [ pdf ]
- Expectation Maximization 21/11/2011 [ pdf ] [ code ]
- Object recognition with SURF and SIFT* examples [ code ]
- DBMM09 Contest: logo recognition with SIFT [ code & dataset ]
- Introduction to OpenCV [ pdf ] [ code ]
- Human Action Recognition and Event Detection 19/11/2009 [ ppt ] [ pdf ]
- Simple application to test HSV color histogram [ code ]
*derived from Rob Hess’ SIFT.