Professor at University
Alberto del Bimbo is Professor of Computer Engineering at the Faculty of Engineering, University of Firenze. He teaches the following courses:
- Multimedia Design and Production, 1st level degree;
- Multimedia Databases, 2nd level degree;
- Multimedia Design, Master in Multimedia Content Design.
Alberto del Bimbo research interests address analysis and interpretation of images and video and their applications, with particular interest at content-based retrieval in visual and multimedia digital archives, advanced videosurveillance and target tracking, and natural man-machine interaction assisted by computer vision. He is the author of over 200 scientific publications that have appeared in international journals and conference proceedings. He has been the coordinator of many European and national projects in the areas of multimedia and image and video analysis. He was also the coordinator of the cluster Audio-Visual and Non-traditional Object Digital Libraries Network of Excellence on Digital Libraries DELOS of the Information Society Technologies Program of the European Commission, from 2004 to 2007.
Personal data and career
Alberto del Bimbo was born in Florence, Italy on the 15th of February 1952; he is married with one son.
He was graduated in 1977 in Electronic Engineering from the University of Firenze, with 110/110 cum laude discussing a thesis on image processing.
He was with IBM Italy from 1978 to 1988 working as system analyst at the Center for Development of Information Systems in Vimercate, Milan, henceforth at the Media Industry Branch Office in Florence.
He was appointed Associate Professor of Computer Engineering at the University of Florence in 1988, with the following development:
- Associate Professor of Computer Engineering at the University of Florence, from 1988 to 1994.
- Full Professor of Computer Engineering at the University of Brescia, from 1994 to 1995.
- Full Professor at the University of Florence, since 1995.
Awards and charges
Alberto del Bimbo has been appointed:
- Vice-President from 1994 to 1996, and President from 1996 to 2000 of the GIRPR, the Italian Chapter of the International Association for Pattern Recognition (IAPR).
- Fellow of IAPR, International Association for Pattern Recognition, since 2000.
- Member at Large of the Publication Board of IEEE, International Association of Electrical and Electronic Engineers, from 1999 to 2001.
- Member of the Review Committee for Computer Science from the Association of Universities in the Netherlands held on the occasion of the revisions in 2005, 2008 and 2010.
Prof. Del Bimbo has also held the following services to the international scientific community:
IAPR – International Association for Pattern Recognition
- Member of the International Technical Committee #8 (Industrial Applications) 1992 to 1997, and #12 (Pattern Recognition and Media), from 1996 to 2000.
- Member of the Steering Committee of the VISUAL conference series since 1999.
IEEE The Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers
- Member of Steering Committee of IEEE ICMCS – International Conference on Multimedia Computing and Systems, 1998 to 2000.
- Member of Steering Committee of IEEE ICME – International Conference on Multimedia and Expo, 2000 to 2005.
- Special Section “Image Processing and Machine Vision Applications in Italy”, Machine Vision and Applications Journal, 1995.
He has been Associated Editor of:
- Journal of Visual Languages and Computing, from 1994 to present.
- Pattern Recognition, from 1995 to 2009.
- Multimedia Tools and Applications, from 1998 to present.
- Pattern Analysis and Applications, from 1999 to present.
- International Journal of Image and Video Processing, from 2005 to present.
- IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, from 2001 to 2005.
- IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, from 2001 to 2005.
- International Journal of Image and Video Processing, from 2005 to present.
- Computacion y Systemas, from 2005 to present.
He has been guest editor of:
- Special Issue “Image and Video Databases: Indexing, Browsing and Retrieval”, Journal of Visual Languages and Computing, 1996.
- Special Issue “Color and Texture Analysis”, in Pattern Recognition, 1997.
- Special Issue “Biomedical Applications”, Computerized Medical Imaging and Graphics, 1997.
- Special Issue “Content-based Access of Image and Video Libraries”, Computer Vision and Image Understanding, 2000.
- Special Issue “Advances in Multimedia- from IEEE ICMCS99″, IEEE Multimedia, 2000.
- Special Issue “Advanced Multimedia Applications – from IEEE ICMCS99″ in Multimedia Tools and Applications Journal, 2000.
- Special Issue “Multimedia Databases ” in IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, 2002.
- Special Issue on “Syntactic and Structural Pattern Recognition” in IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 2003.
- Special Issue on “Natural Interaction” in Multimedia Tools and Applications, 2007.
- Special Issue on “Multimedia Data Mining” in IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, 2007.
- Special Issue on “Visual and Multimedia Digital Libraries” in Multimedia Tools and Applications, 2007.
- Special Issue on “Multimedia Content-based retrieval” in ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology, 2010.
He has chaired many International Scientific Conferences including the most prestigeous of IEEE, ACM and IAPR in the fields of image and video analysis and multimedia:
- Program Co-Chair ICPR 2012, 21st International Conference on Pattern Recognition, Tsukuba, Japan 2012.
- General Co-Chairman di ECCV2012: European Conference on Computer Vision, Firenze, Italy 2012.
- General Co-Chairman di ICMR’11: International Conference on Multimedia Retrieval, Trento, Italy 2011.
- General Co-Chairman di ACMMM10 International Conference on Multimedia Firenze, Italy 2010.
- Track Chair International Conference on Embedded and Multimedia Computing, 2010 Cebu, Philippine.
- Program Chair of ACM Multimedia 2008, Int. Conf. on Multimedia, Vancouver Canada.
- General Chair of ACM MIR 2008, Int. Conf. on Multimedia Information Retrieval, Vancouver Canada.
- Program Chair of ACM CIVR 2007, Int. Conf. on Image Video Retrieval, Amsterdam NL.
- Program Co-Chair ICPR 2005, Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition, Cambridge UK.
- General Chair of IEEE ICMCS’99, IEEE Int. Conf. on Multimedia 1999, Firenze Italy.
- Program Co-Chair of IEEE ICMCS’98, IEEE Int. Conf. on Multimedia Computing and Systems 1998, Austin USA.
- General Chair of ICIAP’97, IAPR Int. Conf. on Image Analysis and Processing 1997, Firenze Italy.
Services for University
- He is the founder and Director of the Master in Multimedia Content Design (from 1998 to present). Master in Multimedia is a top quality post-graduate school in Italy teaching multimedia technologies. More than 350 students have been graduated, many of them now working in the most important companies of multimedia production.
- He is also the founder and Director of the Media Integration and Communication Center (MICC) (from March 2008 to present). MICC was established by the Italian Ministry of Research and University (MIUR) as a national Center of Excellence, doing research on image and video analysis, multimedia technologies and applications.
- He is the Coordinator of NEMECH New Media for Cultural Heritage initiative, Competence Center Tuscany Region – University of Florence (from 2012).
Alberto del Bimbo was the:
- Director of Department of Systems and Computer Science, University of Florence, from 1997 to 2000.
- Member of the Academic Senate at Large of the University of Florence, from 1998 to 1999.
- Deputy-Rector of Research and Innovation Transfer, University of Florence, from 2000 to 2006.
- President of the Foundation for Research and Innovation of the University of Firenze, from 2007 to 2010.
Services for Agencies and Institutions
Alberto del Bimbo has given the following services, among the others, for national and international institutions:
- Reviewer for ESPRIT II program of the European Community, Office & Business Systems Division, from 1989 to 1993.
- President of the Scientific Committee of CESVIT, Agency for the Development of Advanced Technology of the University of Florence, Tuscany Region, Province of Florence, Chamber of Commerce and Industrial Association of the Province of Florence (from 1990 to 1993).
- Auditor for the Ministry of Productive Activities and the Ministry of University and Research (from 1998 to 2008).
- Member of the Committee for the Strategic Plan of the City of Florence (from 2001 to 2005).
- Auditor research questions for the Region of Umbria, Lazio Region, Province of Trento. (2007 – 2010)
- Coordinator of several European projects between universities and businesses in the Information and Communication Technology.
- Coordinator of research projects between the University of Florence and companies in the Information and Communication Technology.
- Member of the Council of the Fondazione Rinascimento Digitale, Florence (from 2006 to present).
- Reviewer for the European Commission (from 1989 to 2003).
- Member of the Joint EC-NSF US Working Group on Digital Imagery for Significant Cultural and Historical Materials for Research on Digital Libraries for Cultural Heritage (from 2003 to 2004).
- Member of the International Scientific Board of QUANU, Quality Assurance Netherlands Universities (from 2005 to 2007).
- Member of International Scientific Advisory Board of the NWO CATCH (Continuous Access to Cultural Heritage). The Netherlands (from 2005 to present). NWO (Organization for Scientific Research, Development) is the national research council of the Netherlands promoting quality and innovation in science under the auspices of the Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture and Science.
- Member of B-com’s Scientific Advisory Board. France (from 2013). B-Com is a new body in France gathering industrial and academic founding members to establish a world-class player in multimedia, networks and medical applications. Founding members are Orange/France Télécom, TdF, Inria, Institut Telecom, Supélec..)