Abstract: What is Solr and how it came about.
- What is Solr and how it came about.
- Why Solr? Reliable, Fast, Supported, Open Source, Tunable Scoring, Lucene based.
- Installing & Bringing Up Solr in 10 minutes.
Solr is the popular, blazing fast open source enterprise search platform from the Apache Lucene project. Its major features include powerful full-text search, hit highlighting, faceted search, near real-time indexing, dynamic clustering, database integration, rich document (e.g., Word, PDF) handling, and geospatial search.
During the meeting, we’ll see how to: install and deploy solr (also under tomcat)
- configure the two xml config files: schema.xml and solrconfig.xml
- connect solr to different datasource: xml, mysql, pdf (using apach tika)
- configure a tokenizer for different languages
- configure result scoring and perform a faceted and a geospacial search.
- configure and perform a “morelikethis” search
Material: it is recommended to participate bringing a PC with the Java 1.6 or greater and Tomcat installed. The tutorial file that will be used during the seminar can be downloaded at http://it.apache.contactlab.it/lucene/solr/4.3.1/ (the solr-4.3.1.tgz file)